10 Tips To Keep Your Pets Safe This Christmas | DogLife360
Puppy & Kitten Club
Pup and Kitten Club

10 Safety Tips For Pets This Christmas

'Tis the season to be merry!  Mistletoe, muddy walks, decking the halls and dressing the tree, and let's not forget the jolly joy of ever so bright jumpers lovingly knitted by your nan - it's all very exciting!  Christmas and New Year can be loads of fun, and this year we're all grabbing every excuse for joyful exuberance we can muster;  but even as we're getting swept up in all the festivities, it's as important to factor in that this time of year can be stressful for our pups and its important to be aware of the risks and how best to care for your dog through the chilly days ahead. 

Luckily, our friends at Pets At Home are here to help. Their top ten safety tips for pets this Christmas will help you spot the potential hazards before you or your pup get tangled up in them.

Christmas dog

1. Keep paws clean

Grit, snow and ice can all cause sore paws! It's good to know that antifreeze is toxic to pets. Particularly with cats, it can be ingested while they’re grooming so it's vital to stay on top of their paw care.

READ MORE: Is Your Dog Safe on the Road? 

2. Make sure your pet has a quiet place to escape to

With the hustle and bustle of extra guests, some pets become distressed. It’s important for them to have somewhere to escape to where they can feel safe and relaxed. 

doggie safe haven

3. Loud noises can scare pets

Be careful and considerate when pulling crackers, party poppers or letting off fireworks - loud noises can scare pets

READ MORE: How to Treat and Avoid Dog Fleas

4. Keep Christmas plants out of reach

Christmas cherry, mistletoe and poinsettia are mildly toxic if eaten by pets. It could cause vomiting, excess drooling or diarrhoea. You don't want to have to dash to the vet on Christmas! 

10 tips to keep your dog safe this christmas

5. Keep your pet away from the Christmas tree

Although most species of Christmas tree have low toxicity, it's important not to let your pet eat any part of it. If ingested, it can cause mild vomiting and diarrhoea.

dog and christmas tree

6. Don't leave lit candles unattended

Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if candles are left for them to knock over. Remember to always use a fireguard on open fires. 

candles and dog

7. Be careful with baubles, tinsel and toys

If you have an inquisitive pet or house rabbit, extra precautions such as small fences around your tree will stop them from chewing decorations and light wires.

READ MORE: Looking for Puppy Support? - Pets at Home

8. Hoover up any fallen pine needles

Stray needles from your tree can get stuck in the soft paws of your pet and cause painful irritation. If ingested, they're just as dangerous and may result in irritation to the intestines.

dog and tree

9. Avoid putting edible gifts under the Christmas tree

Even if they appear to be well wrapped, pets will most likely sniff out any food-based gifts under the tree. They could try to work their way through the packaging and eat potentially harmful foods that aren't suitable for them.

dogs and Christmas presents

10. Do not feed your pet any festive food

Please remember that chocolate, raisins, nuts, fruit cakes and mince pies are all toxic to pets. While not all festive food is poisonous, it could be too rich and cause serious stomach upset.  Stick with the doggie treats you know and love. 

Join The Club today! 

For more tips and support, don’t forget to join Pets At Home’s Puppy and Kitten Club. It's free and your first shop purchase comes with a 10% discount.

 

puppy and festive lights

Join Today - The Puppy and Kitten Club

 

Pets get everywhere. Make Sure fleas dont with 3 easy steps. 1. Tell us about your per 2. Choose your tailored treatment 3. Delivered straight through your letterbox from Pets At Home
Pets get everywhere. Make Sure fleas dont with 3 easy steps. 1. Tell us about your per 2. Choose your tailored treatment 3. Delivered straight through your letterbox from Pets At Home